Yes, most of us have the same problem. You had a great long weekend or vacation, really great, so great that you wish…
But it’s over and now you’re back to work. Here are some tips that some professionals use to make a smooth transition from work to vacation and back to work again.
Prepare yourself to go on vacation
- Set up out-of-the-office email and voicemail message
Make sure to let everyone calling know the exact dates and times that you will be out and what to do in case of emergency.
- Make a list of your active projects before you leave
This will cut right through the brain fog when you come back so be very clear and you will be right back on track when you come back.
- Check your work calendar in advance
Take a look at your calendar for any appointments that you have the first couple of days back so that you know, in advance, exactly what to expect.
- Write a To-Do List of the first things you want to do when you get back
— Enjoy your vacation!! —
Now that you’re back to work
- Remove out-of-the-office email and voicemail message
This is important because a stale voicemail message can lead to lost clients.
- Clean up your desk upon return
You may have already done this before you left but if not, it’s always a good idea to have a “clean slate”.
- Don’t stretch yourself too thin
You may feel like a renewed super-human but if you overdo it you’ll undo all of the relaxing benefits from your time off.
- Don’t get lost in your inbox
This one is tough. You could come back to hundreds or more emails. There are a number of ways you can tackle those unread messages but however you do it, do not let your inbox rule your first hours back. Have a plan and stick with it.
- Check in with your team and customers
Briefly coordinate with coworkers to let them know what you’re are working on. On the first hours back it’s important to focus so don’t let this coordination become a project.
- Take care of yourself
Coming back, your renewed motivation might tempt you work yourself into the ground. Take breaks, stretch, eat healthy snacks and take a proper meal break. Resume your normal sleep routine.
- Don’t forget to think back to your time off with gratitude and appreciation.